5/21/08

Happiness

Happiness
by Carl Sandburg
I asked professors who teach the meaning of life to tell me, what is happiness. And I went to famous executives who boss the work of thousands of men. They all shook their heads and gave me a smile, as though I was trying to fool with them. And then one Sunday afternoon I wandered out along the Des Plaines River And I saw a crowd of Hungarians under the trees with their women and children and a keg of beer and an accordion.

I read this and relaxed a little. (Thanks to Richard Vargas for the send.)

Been on a hard run for a few weeks. Several minefields which usually prove to be "mind"fields. The big one for all of us is family. I finally had to accept that there is mystery in family members I will never understand, even as some patterns become absolutely clear. I have come to realize that even though I might see what is going on and may even believe I have something to say that would be helpful, that if they don't want to hear it they won't--. I've stepped back.

Can't grab a keg of beer because I can't handle alcohol. I get sick anymore, even if I try a sip. So how about a keg of fresh water from unpolluted springs?! And accordions? Okay. But there have to be guitars, saxophones, ukuleles, singing, some dancing...bring it on! I've learned that I have a huge family of the heart. Some are Hungarians, Russians, Bengalis, Hawaiians, Americans....Thanks Joan for checking in. Some happen to be blood family members too.

So I'm happy thinking about Carl Sandburg's revelation of happiness.

No comments: