Seeking submissions for an anthology with the working title:
“Mesas and Towers: Contemporary Stories Taking Place in the Southwest”
Salina Bookshelf, Inc. is seeking original written work by American Indian writers with stories, thoughts, and/or poetry about the Southwest. Writers from the Southwest (Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Oklahoma, Southern California, Nevada) region of the United States are strongly encouraged to submit.
Being an Indian from the Southwest is still considered exotic, and for some – cliché. It is a place often revered to as sacred by Natives and non-Natives, and is often called home for many. This anthology is searching for experiences and expressions about the Southwest from Native people. What can this anthology teach people about the Southwest? Themes can cover: romance, memoir (old and new stories), politics (war-tribal/federal/state governments), humor, family, education (teaching, learning, school experiences), landscape (environmental-nature), open to new ideas. Let’s reaffirm and shock Southwest and non-Southwestern residents! Get published!
Manuscripts considered for publication:
• Genres: Fiction, (creative) Non-Fiction, Autobiography, Biography, Poetry, Nature writing.
• Submissions cannot exceed 25 pages (6500) words.
• Unpublished, original work is preferred; should a previously published or excerpts from a previously published work require a reprint fee, the fee payment is the responsibility of the author.
• Each manuscript must have a cover sheet with the author’s name, mailing address, email address, and phone number, along with a biographical statement.
• Manuscripts need be typed, double-spaced; if sent via email, send using Microsoft Word document.
• Send disk or CD-ROM formatted for Microsoft document with a hardcopy. Do not send the only copy of your manuscript; make sure you have an original copy of your work. Salina Bookshelf, Inc. is not responsible for any lost manuscripts.
• Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage if you wish to have your work returned.
• Submission deadline: December 31, 2005
Send submissions to: DeLyssa Begay
P.O. Box 3080
Chinle, Arizona 86503