8/17/04

Annoucing Native Roots and Rhythms and Ploughshares

First, anyone who wrote me regarding Washington DC venues please write again. Lost ALL of my emails. Also note that you can reach me via nativejoy@earthlink.net.

Am busy preparing for the Native Roots and Rhythms performance in Santa Fe, August 21st from 7-10 PM at the Paolo Soleri Theatre on Cerrillos Road, behind the Santa Fe Indian School. Mary Redhouse and Will Clipman are joining me for our 15 minute segment of the show.

I guest edited the Winter 2004-2005 issue of Ploughshares, a fine literary publication out of Boston. The publication date is Dec. 15, 2005. Please check it out at the site: www.pshares.org. Featured writers will appear in the next blog. The following is the near-final draft of the introduction.

INTRODUCTION c Joy Harjo Honolulu 8/2004

I used to think a poem could become a flower, a bear, or a house for a ravaged spirit. I used to think I understood what it meant to write a poem, and understood the impetus to write, and even knew a little something of the immensity of the source of poetry. I was never the scholar and approached the study of poetry like a fool in love with the moon. I mean, I am a reader of poetry and know a little something about the various indigenous roots of American poetry. The poetry sung at the ceremonial grounds is poetry, I know even more about European elements of verse because it was/is a “truly civilized poetry” and was all we were taught in public schools. I had to stand quite a distance from the earth, beyond conquest politics, to see the foolishness of this assertion. To assert one form of poetry above all others is to insist on a hierarchy of value that arbitrarily rules that a rose has more value than an orchid because it is a rose.
The first poetry I heard from my mother’s voice, for it is in song that I first found poetry, or it found me, alone at the breaking of dawn under the huge elm sheltering my childhood house, within range of the radio, of my mother’s voice. I used to think that the elm, too was poetry as it expressed the seasonal shifts and rooted us. The elm was a presence and had a commanding voice and spoke in articulate phrasings. I have given myself over to poetry. And poetry like the earth was once decreed flat, then round. I declare it as a spiral in shape and movement. Each strand of poetry curls from classical form and springs unruly forms that often overtake and become classical forms as the tendrils of songs curl into the future.
I used to think a story would house a beginning, middle and end and could be contained within the covers of a book then given a home in the heart. Or that a story in any of its forms could lead me safely away from myself, show me a world so different I would return to gaze at my known universe with a newly shining mind. I believed that myth was alive and was the mothering source of stories, poetry and songs and within this field I would find the provocative answers to the riddle of being a human without wings or gills, or directions to a map for a lost wanderer. I was looking for vision and the powerful and startling and subtle strategies of language, pattern, style, character, and voice would satisfy and even more, inspire. I have given myself over to the making of stories and even as I found them or they located me I was ecstatic, and then bereft. For then there I was again at the same place I started, the beginning of a page or a voice. I garnered hope, but hope is wistful and empty and is like water in our hands.
I confess. At this moment in the time and context of being a writer in America, I don’t know whether I believe or know anything that I once thought I believed or knew about our art of truth telling, of singing, of constructing the next world as a story or series of stories that we will eventually inhabit, as will our children and their children. Maybe we’ve all been through this before, but it’s another version and we’re in it deep. I used to imagine writing as a ladder leading us from the blind world into the knowing world but now to imagine a ladder means to imagine a land or a house on which to secure a ladder. For many of us in these lands now called America imagining this place has been a tricky feat because there is no place that hasn’t or won’t get stolen, polluted or destroyed, and for all of us now planted here, the foundation is shaky thought it is strong with vision, the country was founded on violent theft. But this is what we have, who we are here, together. And we can use the fire still burning there to destroy this place, or build it anew with bricks made of the trash, with fresh, shining inspiration. The elm is still growing there in that yard.
Maybe the ultimate purpose of literature is to humble us to our knees, to that know-nothing place. Maybe we here on this planet we are a story gone awry, with the Great Storyteller frantically trying out different endings. Whatever the outcome, we need new songs, new stories to accompany us wherever we are, wherever we go. That’s the power contained in a book, journal or magazine you can carry in your hands. So, these stories, poems and songs are offered as such, as gifts for challenge, for inspiration, for sustenance.

I promised a contest...still trying to figure it out.



































No comments: